Open to ages 7-15 as of July 1st.
Apple Crumb Muffins
Sponsored by: The Association of Connecticut Fairs, Inc.
Open to Juniors between the ages of seven (7) and fifteen (15) years of age as of July 1st. There will be ONE GROUP for both local and state competition. Please refer to the general RULES OF CONTEST for further information.
Contestants may enter the contest at as many fairs as they wish until they win first prize. They will then represent that fair at the state baking contest.
A First Place Blue Rosette ribbon will be awarded to the winning entry. In the event the First Place Winner will not compete at the State Judging, the Second place winner will be allowed to represent the Fair. The secretary of each Fair MUST contact the winner from that Fair and supply information about the State Contest, or visit www.ctfairs.org for date and location.
The state contest is held as part of the Fall Meeting and Convention of the Association of Connecticut Fairs. Entries for the state contest are accepted until 11 am on the day of the contest (contact your local fair or visit www.ctfairs.org for the date and location). Contest winners are announced at the fall convention. Each fair is responsible for contacting their contest winner and provide information about the state contest. The Association of Connecticut Fairs does not contact individual fairs or contest winners in regards to contest and banquet reservations. NO BANQUET RESERVATIONS FOR CONTEST WINNERS WILL BE ACCEPTED AT THE DOOR. HARWINTON FAIR WILL PAY FOR THE DINNERS OF WINNERS AND ONE GUEST. ALL ENTRIES TO THE STATE CONTEST BECOME THE PROPERTY OF THE ASSOCIATION OF CONNECTICUT FAIRS. ALL DECISIONS OF THE JUDGES ARE FINAL
1st Place $15.00, Rosette
2nd Place $12.50, Rosette
3rd Place $10.00, Rosette
4th Place $7.50, Rosette
5th Place $5.00, Rosette
6th Place $5.00, Rosette
7th Place $5.00, Rosette
8th Place $5.00, Rosette
9th Place $2.50 Rosette
10th Place $2.50 Rosette
Honorable mention Ribbons will also be awarded
- 1 1/2 cups King Arthur Flour all purpose flour
- 1 1/8 cups white sugar
- 2 teaspoons pumpkin pie spice
- 3/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup (8 oz) 100% pure pumpkin
- 2 eggs
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 1 small apple (Macintosh) peeled, cored & finely chopped
- 1/8 cup white sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 tablespoon butter
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees
- Place 12 paper baking cups in a muffin tin
- Combine flour, sugar, pumpkin pie spice, baking soda & salt in large bowl
- Combine pumpkin, eggs, oil & apple in medium bowl & mix well. Stir into flour mixture just until moistened
- Fill baking/muffin cups 3/4 full
- Crumb top: combine sugar, flour & cinnamon in medium bowl. Cut in butter with pastry blender or fork until crumbly.
- Sprinkle over top of muffins
- Bake for 30 minutes or until tested with toothpick & it comes out clean
- Cool in pan for 5 minutes, remove to wire racks to cool
Submit 6 muffins on a white paper plate.
|Overall visual appeal||25 points|
|Following Directions||10 points|
|Total Score||100 points|
Chocolate Chip Cookie Contest
Winner will be presented with the Jamie Kirchner Memorial Trophy
Who may enter? Any youth 6 years or older. Follow the recipe in the book.
The recipe does not need to be included with the entry.
All others will receive participant ribbons.
- 1 Cup shortening 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 3/4 Cup brown sugar 2 cups flour
- 3/4 Cup granulated sugar 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 eggs
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon water
- 1 – 12 ounce bag Chocolate Chips
Makes 6 dozen.
- Preheat oven to 375°.
- Mix shortening and brown sugar.
- Add granulated sugar and stir.
- Add eggs, water and vanilla and beat well.
- Add flour, salt and baking soda and beat well.
- Stir in chocolate chips.
- Drop by teaspoonfuls on cookie sheet.
- Bake 12 minutes.
- Cool on cooling rack.
Submit 6 on a plate for judging.