- Wall Hanging
- This contest is open to all residents of Connecticut, aged 7 to 17 at the time of judging
- All work must be completed by an individual quilt maker.
- Work can be pieced by hand or by machine but appliqué must be done by hand.
- Quilts must be either hand or machine quilted, no hand tied quilts.
- Quilts may not be made from pre-cut quilt kits.
- Wall hanging quilt perimeter must measure a minimum of 64 inches.
- Wall hanging quilt must include a sleeve for hanging.
- Wall hanging can be appliqué, or pieced. It can be hand or machine quilted, but not tied.
- A quilt can only compete in the Association of Connecticut Fairs Quilt Contest once.
The following prizes will be awarded:
|Overall visual appeal||10 points|
|Uses of pattern & design||25 points|
|Effects of Color in Overall Design||10 points|
|Suitability of Materials||5 points|
|Border or Edge Treatment||5 points|
|Precision of work-Top & Back||20 points|
|Quality of Quilting and/or Needlework||20 points|
|Binding, Edges & Backing||5 points|
|Total Score||100 points|
Overall visual appeal
• Is clean: no marking, threads, stains, fading, etc.
• Piece is effective
Uses of pattern & design
• Has unity, rhythm, & balance; proportional to quilt size; Quilting design complements pattern
Effects of Color in Overall Design
• Compatible colors, values, & contrasts
• Balance & movement of colors
Suitability of Materials
• Scale of fabric designs appropriate to quilt size
• Thread color match or blend with fabrics
• Backing coordinates with quilt top
Border or Edge Treatment
• Proportional to quilt size; Complements quilt design
• Provides an effective frame
• Size consistent overall
Precision of work-Top & Back
• Precise points, corners, curves, angles
• Precise intersections; Secure stitches
Quality of Quilting and/or Needlework
• Amount of quilting; balanced, appropriate for the space; Stitches even, straight, penetrates all quilt layers; Balanced tension, knots & traveling stitches are hidden
Binding, Edges & Backing
• Batting fills binding evenly, width consistent & smooth; Corners identical
• Binding proportional to size of the quilt
• Backing is free of unsightly stitches or marks